Genus ABS is on the cutting edge of technology, with ABS first implementing DNA marker selection in 1996. Our sister company PIC has more than 15 years experience with genomics and we have 20 Ph.D Geneticists on staff leveraging knowledge across both PIC and Genus ABS. Throughout the company, we are making a greater research investment in Genomics than other AI companies.
What are Genomic Evaluations?
- DNA is retrieved
- Bull is genotype at ~50,000 sites of the 3 billion total base pair sites
- Associate the ~40,000 informative sites with high reliability bull proofs Illumina Bovine SNP50 Chip used on males only.
- 5 yield traits – milk, fat, protein, % protein, %fat
- 7 health traits – PL, SCS, DPR, SCE, DCE, SSB, DSB
- 16 conformation traits (PTAT and 15 linear type traits)
Some EU countries :2010
Genomics helps in 3 main ways
Lowers generation interval
- Finds the elite individuals sooner
Less time required for bull induction
A genomic test for a bull is equivalent to a progeny tested bull tested on a minimum 30 daughters
Many more animals screened